Why is bite monitoring important from an early age?
One of the main causes of malocclusion is heredity. If parents and grandparents have problems, then the child needs a regular visit to the dentist. Most likely, the curvature will be noticeable already with the appearance of the first milk teeth. Do not wait for their change to permanent – early correction is considered one of the most effective approach to deal with it.
Even if the whole family is distinguished by even strong teeth, teach your child the correct articulation. There are frequent cases of deformation of 1-2 teeth due to a constant incorrect position of the tongue. Also, the cause of the curvature can be premature extraction of milk teeth, trauma, malnutrition, bad habits, such as prolonged sucking of the nipples, fingers and lip sucking.
Signs of malocclusion in a child:
- Teeth come forward or come back.
- Separate teeth rotated along its axis
- Large gaps between teeth
- Incorrect jaw closure
- Irregularities in a number of teeth are visible to the eye.
How to correct a child’s bite?
Consult a doctor orthodontist no later than 5-6 years of age. Half the success is to start bite correction with deciduous teeth. The specialist will determine the method of correcting the bite, taking into account the individual characteristics of the child.
Today are widely used:
A comfortable technique for correcting malocclusion without braces, using special exercises. They train facial and chewing muscles, can be used from 4 years. During classes, adult control is necessary.
It is used for severe anomalies associated not only with the location and growth of teeth, but also with the development of skull bones. The operation is performed under anesthesia and the jaw is fixed with special inserts, after which a splint is applied for constant wear for 2-3 weeks.
How to prevent malocclusion in children?
Some ways to prevent malocclusions in children include:
- During pregnancy, you need to eat foods rich in fluoride and calcium.
- For artificial feeding, choose orthopedic nipples.
- In the diet of the child should be enough solid food (carrots, apples, nuts)
- Watch the child’s breathing through the nose – if it is difficult, consult a doctor.
- Visit the dentist 2 times a year, even without complaints. This will allow you to constantly monitor the development of the bite.